It’s been a chocolate filled week! Sometimes I just need to get a little extra with my chocolate obsession. So Double Chocolate cookies seemed like the way to go. And since it’s the holiday season, Double Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies!!Jump to Recipe
Finding Softness Perfection
Developing recipes is a lot of fun, but doesn’t always go your way the first time. I knew what I wanted from these cookies, and spent a good amount of time getting there. They needed to be soft and chewy on the inside, with hints of minty flavour and a slightly crisp outside. And of course have that double chocolate goodness!
For a while when starting work on this recipe they were coming out much flatter but very soft and gooey. It was awesome. But in the end I decided I wanted them to be a bit fluffier. The double chocolate was never an issue, but the amount of candy cane varied through the tests. I wanted it to be present but not overwhelming. Sprinkling extra on top ended up helping to really bring out the candy cane in the way I wanted.
For the actual chocolate chunks throughout the cookies I use Hummingbird Chocolate Baking Bricks. I like the chocolate pieces to be in lots of different sizes, so some of it will be chunks, and some will be shavings. For the cocoa powder I will usually recommend Dutch processed. I like the way the flavour is a little more mellow and I love the darker colour. Natural cocoa powder will have a slightly more intense flavour and have more bitterness. Both will work in this recipe, so use which one you prefer.
If you’re also craving all of the chocolate, then you should also check out this recipe for Mocha Chocolate Mousse. And since the weather is getting colder, you’re going to need this Rich & Creamy Drinking Chocolate.
Double Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint Oil
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Each Baking Powder & Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Chopped Dark Chocolate
- 1/2 cup Crush Candy Cane Plus extra for decorating
- Heat the oven to 375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy and pale. Add in the eggs one at a time, fully mixing after each. Add the peppermint oil and mix to combine.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to partially combine.
- Add the chopped chocolate and candy cane. Stir to fully combine everything. I use my hands to complete the mixing process to make sure I get all the flour.
- Scoop the dough in very heaped Tbsps, and roll them into balls. Place on the baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 6 minutes, then rotate and bake for another 6 minutes. You want to slightly under bake these cookies, so that they maintain their soft centers. Sprinkle the tops of each cookie with more candy cane immediately when they come out of the oven.
- Allow to cool on their trays slightly, then transfer to a wire rack and cool fully before storing. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.